The planet has witnessed metamorphosis in organisms since times immemorial. Majority of times drastic changes in climatic conditions took a toll on the ever growing population of voiceless creatures across the world. Ranging from apes to dinosaurs, the transition is aptly evident today in the museums. The ominous representations of present day global warming signifies a walk back in time. Shift in the behavioral traits and physical deformities in flora and fauna is compelling scientists to probe deeper into the causal effects.
Certain illustrative examples of the effect of global warming comprise:
• Feminization of turtles is one of the key problems due to rising temperatures
• Innumerable shoals of fish are migrating towards the northern extremes in look out for cooler waters.
• Fruitfly genes traditionally found in hotter and drier regions are blending with the populations found in cooler zones.
• Among the animals whose interval of hibernation has drastically reduced compared to that years ago, marmots rank first.
• Fluffy polar bears have thinned down incredibly than what they were about 20 years back.
• Fossils illustrate somber facts like rise in temperature has lead to disturbing the expanse of Genetic diversity by disrupting exchange among specific species.
An extensive scientific study incorporating 1500 species demonstrate temperature related transformations in overwhelming majority. Melting of polar ice caps leading to rise in sea level is gradually submerging landscape that used to house a considerable number of species. This in turn pushes the creatures to seek refuge in the highlands thus getting subjected to sudden climate shift. Experiencing the effect of global warming over the years, they undergo unexpected transitions.
Besides what is called habitat displacement, shift in the cycle of events in an animal’s life like migration and reproductive phases, termed as phenology, is another disturbing change brought about by global warming. Often migration of species cause devastation in their new territory. Often economically productive vegetation gets effected due to the new exodus, as happened in Canada due to pine beetles that devastated acres of lucrative Balsam fir trees. Migration of caterpillars in Netherlands provoked erosion in some forests.
Among the worst affected creatures arctic foxes, toads, penguins, salmon and the aforementioned creatures top the charts. The pace at which global warming is spreading its tentacles to engulf the peaceful coexistence and leading selected wildlife to the edge of extinction, is raising brows of climate experts. Thus scientists promote expanding genetic diversity to overcome vulnerability.
Biologists believe creatures should ideally interbreed in order to enrich diversity and fortify themselves against any external threat of extinction. This speaks volumes on the necessity for species to cling to one another in their stationary habitats and avoid shifts that climate fluctuations compel them into.
Some analysts seem to contemplate, that day isn’t far when human beings will undergo transformations owing to the dreadful impact of global warming, if decisive measures are not adopted well on time.