The aftermaths of global warming are quite severe and scary in Australia. Several areas of the nation have been experiencing major environmental impacts including agriculture, water security, infrastructure and coastal communities. Environmentalists have reported that the nation will witness a steady temperature rise of around 5 degrees Celsius by end of this century. Thus, it has become crucial for the country to eliminate the emission of greenhouse gases.
Needless to say, with the increasing amount of greenhouse gas emissions, the level of temperature all across the globe is increasing steadily. This is what we comprehend as the core phenomenon of climate change and global warming. The Bureau of Meteorology and the National Science Agency (CSIRO) have released the report on projection with consideration of 40 global climate models, which they reported to be the most dangerous picture of Australia so far.
The projections reported that the temperature will change with the level of greenhouse gas emissions. The more it is, the higher will the temperatures rise. Typically, the world is about to track a higher emission scenario, which, means Australia will address an increase in temperature in between 2.8 degree Celsius – 5.1 degree Celsius by 2090. Furthermore, the burning of fossil fuels will affect Australia compared to several other parts of the world and face a temperature rise in 2.6 degree Celsius – 4.8 degree Celsius by the year 2090.
Since 1910, the surface air temperature of this nation has already increased by around 0.9 degree Celsius. It has recorded the warmest temperature on 2013 which, is unlikely to be solely affected by natural occurrences alone. Apart from the aforesaid, some of the other findings being recorded on the first ever projection of Australian climate since 2007 are:
• The report states that there are chances that the nation will witness increase in snow melt and decrease in snowfall thereby, lesser amount of snow cover.
• Rising temperatures will lead to a rise in the chances of severe fire danger. Moreover, soil moisture is expected to fall by around 15% by the year 2090 in southern Australia during the winter months.
• The occurrences of droughts will increase in between 5%-20% which, will greatly depend on the decrease of greenhouse gases emission.
• The nation is on the verge of a steady sea level rise of around 45cm-82cm by the year 2090 if, greenhouse gas emissions are not being restricted. The report stated that if the ice sheet of Antarctica collapses, then the sea levels will increase up to several tenths of one metre.
• The interior areas of Australia will become warmer more quickly compared to the coastal areas. Alice Springs is about to witness around 83 days in average with a temperature of around 40 degree Celsius in the year 2090 which, was earlier a duration of just 17 days in the year 1995.
• Melbourne will literally broil through with a temperature of 35 degree Celsius for around 24 days in 2090 which was only around 11 days in 1995. Likewise, Sydney experienced just 3 days with a temperature of 35 degree Celsius in the year 1995 which, is about to increase to 11 days with a temperature of 35 degree Celsius by 2090.
Noticeably, these changes will likely affect the production of agriculture and bring more threats to the nation as well. The Great Barrier Reef has already reached to a state of massive devastation and this instance is pretty alarming for the Australians. Thus, it’s time to act rational and drive each and every step of ours to protect the nation from the horrifying impact of global warming.